We could all use a little good news in 2020, so we are pleased to announce that a new and improved Medical Billing and Coding course will launch in January 2021! We’re combining all individual medical billing and coding career training courses and bundles into one comprehensive course designed to prepare students for a new career in this high-demand field.
In the past, students had to decide which medical billing and coding course and professional certification to pursue before fully understanding the field. It could be an overwhelming process when ultimately all of the courses aimed to help them achieve the same outcome: a career in medical billing and coding.
One Comprehensive Medical Billing and Coding Course
In the new Medical Billing and Coding course, students will learn about medical billing and coding jobs and the different certification paths. Upon course completion, students choose the certification that matches their career goals. Learning about the profession first allows them to make more informed decisions about their future and the type of healthcare setting or specialization they plan to pursue.
This change removes a big hurdle for students, partners, and admission teams, and makes the first step toward launching an exciting new career easier and more enjoyable for everyone.
Key Benefits of this new course include:
- 3 voucher choices: CBCS Medical Billing and Coding, CCA Medical Billing and Coding, CPC Medical Billing and Coding
- Hands-on billing experience with medical billing and coding software
- Externship Starter Kit to help students gain valuable experience in the field
- Medical Biller standalone option for those who aren’t interested in Medical Coding
That’s not all. Our team has been working hard behind the scenes to make other course updates and improvements that will help students better prepare for a successful career as a medical biller and/or coder.
Additional updates and benefits:
- MBC hours increase from 340 (280 MBC + 60 Medical Terminology) to 350 (290 MBC + 60 Medical Terminology)
- CMAA + MBC bundle hours increase from 500 to 510
- New Textbook and Workbook: Understanding Health Insurance: A Guide to Billing and Reimbursement 2021, 16th Edition, by Michelle A. Green (Replaces A Guide to Health Insurance Billing)
- Modularized content: Introduction => Billing => Coding => Certifications
- Information on various medical billing and medical coding job functions and environments
- A scenario-based “Reality Check” feature begins each lesson providing a real-life look at situations medical billing and coding professionals may encounter
- Putting It Into Practice features in the Review section provide learners with “real-life” billing and coding scenarios and follow-up questions to assess knowledge of the content
- Coding and claim form activities and assignments offer learners hands-on experience
- Refreshed Learning Checks throughout the lessons allow learners to assess their knowledge of the content that was presented
- Key Terms/Flashcards at the end of each lesson provide learners with an opportunity to review important terms introduced in the lesson
- Optional Workbook assignments help learners apply concepts presented in the course
- Callouts to certification-specific topics where appropriate
- A certification prep lesson helps learners decide which certification is right for them
- An Externship Starter Kit assists learners in finding and securing an externship
How will this impact current medical billing and coding courses?
With this change on January 26, 2021, all other individual medical billing and coding courses and course bundles will be discontinued on June 30, 2021. For any students who are currently enrolled in any MBC programs before January 26, 2021, nothing will change. We will continue to teach out these courses until all students have completed their lessons or the time for completion expires.
Pending students will have the option to enroll in the current courses through January 26, 2021. Or, they can choose to enroll in the new MBC course when it launches on January 26, 2021. We will add a disclaimer to the website which states that current courses will be available through June 30, 2021.
Additional medical billing and coding course information:
Our marketing team has been hard at work to ensure that marketing content will be available before the course launches on January 26, 2021. Check your inbox for additional information on this new course and the impact it may have on your catalog. You can also contact your account manager at any time for specific marketing needs or questions.
We’re so excited to be able to offer this new medical billing and coding course for you and your students, and we’ll be here for you every step of the way to ensure that the transition is as seamless as possible.